BC Release of Wine Documentary SOMM 3 Raises Funds for the Gary Hynes Foundation
VICTORIA, BC, Tuesday, October 23, 2018 — In honour of Gary Hynes, founder and editor of EAT Magazine, Vessel Liquor is sponsoring the premiere of SOMM 3 in British Columbia, with a special screening in Victoria on November 7, 2018. In addition, the wine, culinary, and hospitality community has gathered to contribute to an online auction, all proceeds of which will benefit the Gary Hynes Foundation and provide grants to individuals in the culinary, journalism and music disciplines.
This year, Victoria lost a key support, mentor and friend in the culinary scene. Gary Hynes leaves behind a legacy of encouraging new food writers, celebrating local bounty, and just being a sincere and lovely human being.
In 2013, EAT Magazine and Gary Hynes brought the original SOMM to Victoria. This groundbreaking wine and sommelier documentary was received with critical acclaim, and provided key insights into the fascinating and enigmatic international sommelier community. SOMM 3, released in summer 2018, explores the tastes and lives of people who play a major role in the $220 billion wine industry. Three of the greatest legends in wine meet to drink the rarest bottles of their careers, while the best blind tasters of today gather to settle an age-old argument. The results could change the world of wine forever.
Sponsored by Vessel Liquor, and in collaboration with The Courtney Room, and Cru Consultancy, there will be a 6pm reception, followed by a 6:30pm screening of SOMM 3 at the Vic Theatre on Wednesday, November 7. Tickets are $25 and include a glass of Unsworth Vineyards or Lock + Worth Winery wine, Driftwood Brewery beer, or Tod Creek Craft cider. The online auction, filled with items from magnums of sparkling wine to weekends away in Tofino launches Monday, October 29. The auction will be open until midnight, November 7.
For more information visit www.vesselliquor.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The silent auction will be live October 29 and can be found at www.VesselLiquor.com or https://www.32auctions.com/Somm3GaryHynes
A production of Forgotten Man Films, this is the latest release in the award winning SOMM film series. Join us at 6pm in the lobby of Vic Theatre for a complimentary glass of Driftwood Beer, local wine, or cider, before the movie begins at 6:30pm.
In 1976, Steven Spurrier held the Judgment of Paris, a blind tasting where American wines beat out the classic French wines and put wine on a global platform. Wine critics like Jancis Robinson, one of the most prolific wine writers, started to influence what wine people drank. And then there’s Fred Dame, father of the restaurant wine list and the man that made the sommelier profession what it is today. In SOMM 3, these three legends of the industry sit down in Paris to taste the rarest bottles of their careers. Meanwhile, Dustin Wilson gathers the greatest blind tasters of today in New York City for a secret tasting similar to the original Judgment of Paris, with the goal to see if any of the world’s Pinot Noirs can stand up to the greatest Burgundies of France. In the end, both tastings cross with results that could change the world of wine forever.
Tickets are $25 per person, including your glass of Driftwood beer, local wine, or cider.
Vessel Liquor Store is hiring a Community Engagement Crew Member (CECM) to help execute a dynamic strategic community engagement plan as well as assisting in related communications efforts.
This position will work as a part of the overall Vessel team and will report to the Managing Partner. The CECM will be expected to consult with and partner with clients and internal Vessel team members to conceptualize, develop and market events, taking into consideration goals, themes, audiences, and client culture. The CECM will support program proposals, assemble project status reports, and be able to effectively present our services to clients as a consultative face of the organization. We want an enthusiastic candidate with fresh ideas, a passion for wine (beer/spirit/cider) culture, and the organizational skills required to make every event a success.
The position is part time, with the possibility of developing into full time.
- Program planning, execution, task management, customer and supplier relations, administrative and event updates, communications liaison and scheduling
- Coordinate function orders, logistics and schedules
- Setting and developing timelines, event task lists and division of duties
- Communication across all levels of the Vessel team
- Lead promotional activities for events
- Understanding of social media in event settings
- Analyze the event’s success, potentials, and provide reports
- Liaise with the social events manager regularly to ensure events are being promoted, marketed and communicated on all relevant digital platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Website), as well as in the monthly Crewmembers Bulletin
Private off-site tastings
- Development and delivery of private off-site tasting events
- Ensure excellent customer service and quality delivery
- Liaise with Education Director (ED), Store Manager, key employees and instructors
- Coordinate tasting schedule with input from store management
- Develop and manage supplier relations
- Ensure timely delivery product and set up
Off-Site Vessel Pop Up Shops
- Schedule and coordinate events with Managing Partner
- Travelling to on-site inspections
- Develop timelines, task lists and division of duties
- Liaise with vendors and Store Manager to ensure correct products and amounts are ordered
- Manage and communicate logistics and schedule to appropriate personnel
- Develop and maintain partnerships with local restaurants
Reply in confidence with resume to Ross@vesselliquor.com.